Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Veterans Day 2019

Yesterday was Veterans Day, I just wonder how many young people or immigrants legal or illegal really know what Veteran's Day is and why as Americans we celebrate this day?

Most of these young people only know about this war that our young men, husbands and fathers are fighting, in a foreign land now, they have no idea what we the American people have gone through in the past wars, to secure our freedoms.

I was a young child during World War 2.  I remember my mother having a ration book with little coupons in it, the amount of coupons books you received were according to the number of members that were living in your household.  My mother used these coupons for our food supply, the shoes we wore, gas in our car, for almost everything we now take for granted.

I remember the blackouts we had, the air raid wardens going up and down the dark streets making sure no one had light on in their homes and everyone having victory gardens.

Right now in our country we see many young people engaged in riots, taking away our free speech, destroying ones properties, burning the American flag and even kneeling when our National Anthem is played or sung.

Monday President Trump kicked off New York City's Veterans Day Tribute by saying the nation's veterans "risked everything for us, now it is our duty to serve and protect them every single day of our lives."  This president spoke at the opening of the 100th annual parade organized by the United War Veterans Council in Madison Square Park.  He is the first sitting president to accept the group's invitation to speak at this event.

Here again there were protesters booing, yelling and making a scene, I think to myself what is our country coming too?  What are we teaching our Children?  What message are we sending to the world?  Why do these protesters hate our country and our leaders the way they do?  They have the same freedoms that I do, I respect their views why can't they respect mine?

I think of all the young men that proudly wear the uniform, when I was first married my sweetheart
wore his uniform proudly and as I walked beside him I felt a pride for what that uniform stood for.

Yes, we live here in the greatest country in the world, we have freedoms that other people in other lands fight for, pray for, sacrifice for and die for and mostly we have freedom of religion, to worship almighty God, we are one nation under God, let us not forget.

As I sit here writing this blog, I think of a poster of a young boy flying his kite and the caption that reads, "the land of the Free because of the Brave," may we all remember our freedoms and especially
the blessing we all enjoy because we live here, yes, America is a special place, its the land of the Free because of the Brave, may we always remember our Veterans and honor them with respect and may our actions to one another show our love for our country and the respect we have for our Freedoms.

Thank goodness each year we have Veterans Day so we can celebrate and give thanks to those who keep us Free.

No comments:

Post a Comment