Friday, January 11, 2019

Christmas Day 2018 Cancelled

I love the Christmas season always have always will, I love the smells of Christmas and the decorations.  I love making candy and fixing boxes for my sweet friends and love ones,  I love the family gathering on Christmas day with the Christmas dinner and all the trimmings.  I love Christmas and the meaning of it and the memories it creates.

I have a 9 foot tree for my living room and I love having the lights on in the evening, my tree is decorated mostly with my handmade ornaments.

Now these ornaments are my tradition that I started years ago for my family, my children, grandchildren and great grandchildren.  Each year I make a new ornament for each of them hoping they will make a memory that will bring them back to me.  I enjoy hearing from my children about these ornaments, they tell me what their children or grandchildren say about them.  My youngest daughter Ann tells me that when her grandchildren come over and look at her tree they will say, "I have one like that and another will say I have one too".  My oldest daughter will say "mom just give my kids their ornaments, that's all they want".  This year I received a Christmas letter from my sweet granddaughter Carey, she sent me a picture of her tree and wrote, "Look at my tree, it has all the amazing beautiful ornaments you have made me through out my life.  What an incredible gift this is, to see ornaments made for me each year. I truly love them all".  Comments like this warms my heart and says to me, I'm sure happy I started this traditions so many years ago.

But Christmas this year was different, yes I did do some shopping and I did make my ornaments but for some reason my knee has been hurting and because of this I have been sorta out of commission.  

Christmas day was almost here and I was in no condition, as I was thinking about being on my feet trying to fix a big dinner I just knew I was not up to it, so after talking with my sweetheart we decided we would just have to cancel plans for Christmas day and take it easy.

We are in our senior years now and as we have celebrated many Christmas's together, buying special gifts for each other doesn't mean it has to be for Christmas day.  If there is something special we need or is important to us or for us to do, we will do it, take for example this year, we have been having problems with our hot water heater's pilot light going out.  Now it gets sort of frustrating when you go to turn on the hot water and it's cold, so the Friday before Christmas we went and bought a new water heater and with the help of a friend, our son and brother-in-law the heater was installed and we now have HOT WATER.  

Christmas morning arrived, we had a lazy beginning, the Christmas tree lights were on, we had our  breakfast of cereal, we read the morning paper and then we decided to sit near the tree and open our  presents that were sent to us by our daughter, after we finished with the presents my sweet husband said to me, "I'll go and get two chairs and we can go and sit in the laundry room in front of our Christmas present to each other and watch the water heater purr along as we watch it heating some nice hot water for us to enjoy". 

Our Christmas dinner that day was hot soup and toast, but in all it was a nice peaceful day, we received phone calls from our children expressing their love for us and our love for them, plus it gave us time to reflect on the true meaning of Christmas.

Yes, this Christmas day was different from years passed but it was a good day with warm and happy memories so I say,  Merry Christmas to all..

No comments:

Post a Comment