Monday, July 25, 2011

Happy Birthday Marta

Today is July 25, my oldest daughter's birthday and her name is Marta Lee.


She was born on a Sunday afternoon in a Naval Hospital on Whidbey Island, Washington, and she cost a whopping $8.75...  a bargain I must admit....  she weighed 8lbs 5oz and was 21" long.  When the doctor had her weighed and measured his comment was "shes sure a bean pole."


She had blue eyes and light blond hair and was beautiful....  


It was the year 1954 and her Daddy was in the Navy, station at the air base there in Oak Harbor, Washington....  It was during the Korean war...  


We lived in Navy housing which was a one bedroom apartment.  Our row of apartments (5 apartments in the row) were called "Victory Homes" and we lived in the middle one.


I had a small infant crib that had been given to my mother by her sister when I was born, that we brought back to Washington with us, when we returned from our Thanksgiving visit.  Kirk had been busy sanding and repainting this crib for our first baby... So Marta's first bed was the same bed that I, her mother had slept in as a baby too.


In those days you never knew what sex your baby was going to be, before they were born...  Was it a boy or a girl?  You could guess and guess, but only time would tell.   


But you see, I knew with in my heart it would be a sweet little girl and her name would be Marta....


I had a Grandma (my Nannie) who I loved very much and years before when I was around 14, she had asked me if I would do her a favor...  As I loved this Nannie so much, I would do anything for her, so I said "of coarse Nannie, I'll do you a favor, anything" and then she asked me, that when I married and had my first daughter, would I named her Marta, after her Mother.    So, of coarse I promised her I would and so, Marta was Marta long before she came to be.  Then to my surprise and my Nannie's joy, when Marta was born, she was born on the death date of this Great, Great Grandmother.


Marta was wanted and prayed for and the months before her birth were filled with much planning and preparation.  Kirk had bought me a used sewing machine and I was busy sewing and making all the things I would need for this special gift from heaven.


I made about 4 dozen flannel diapers, nightgowns and her little flannel day jackets.  I was busy with my handwork and embroidered sweet little flowers and designs on the front of each one and then crochet edges around them.  I also made about 6 flannel receiving blankets and on these I too crochet edges around them, each in different colors.  I crochet baby booties and even made some baby bibs to match.  I finished with making a white flannel baby quilt and embroidered "the 3 little kitten who lost their mittens" on the front.   



I was so excited about this new baby that every time I finished a new item, I would press it just right, fold it just right and before I put it in the special drawer, I would take everything out and look at it all again.  My sweetheart would tell me, I would have everything all worn out by just looking and touching them before our baby would even have a chance to wear them.  It didn't mater, it just made me feel good to look and see and dream.....


Our little apartment was furnished but I needed a rocking chair, after all, every baby needs to be rocked and so like a good daddy, Kirk went looking for a rocking chair and found a used one that was just my size...  How happy I was..  Everything was set, we were ready, but Marta wasn't.  It took her two extra weeks before she decided to make her appearance.


What excited we felt and what joy it was to be parents to this sweet and beautiful baby girl.  We thank our Heavenly Father each night for this special gift and prayed that we would be good parents and raise her in a pleasing manner to our Heavenly Father.


As I sat in my rocking chair each day rocking my precious baby daughter, I would sing to her, and this is what I would sing..


      Marta Lee, is your name and your not very old,
      just a "week and a day" (this would change each day) but we all love you so---
      Marta Lee, is your name and your not very old,
      just a week and a day, but we all love you so.....


Yes today is my Marta's birthday...  Happy Birthday Marta,  and I will sing to you, your song,
   
    "Marta Lee is your name and we all love you so."


Sweet dreams sweetheart,  I love you...



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the birthday wishes. I had a wonderful day sharing with my grandchildren. When we went to Disney they gave me a button to wear announcing my birthday. Lots of people stopped me to wish me a happy day, it was fun.

    Yes, you were good parents who taught us all very well. I love you.

    ReplyDelete