Saturday, June 11, 2011

Happy Birthday My Sweet Annie

Today is my sweet Ann's birthday. 

As I think about the night she was born I was not only anxious to have my baby, but it was important to have my baby born on the date June 11th.

In those days you did not have ultra sounds that would tell you the sex of your baby, you would find out what your baby was when he or she was born and the doctor would say, you have a girl or you have a boy.....  In your heart you sometimes hope for either a daughter or a son, and that is so, but mostly you would just pray that everything would be perfect and whatever you were blessed with, you would be happy and your heart would be filled with joy.

But this time I had been praying that it would be a sweet daughter and her name would be Ann Marie.

Now I had a Nannie that I loved very much.  She was very important to me in my life and I always felt very close to her. 

I was her first Grandchild and I was given her middle name Elizabeth, as my first name.  Her birthday was June 11, so I wanted my baby to be born on this date and if I had a daughter I was going to give her the middle name of Marie, which is my Nannie's first name...

My due date was around the first of June, but my babies always seemed to like taking a few extra days before they were ready to be born.  As the days went on and when I had my next appointment with my doctor I told him about my desire for this baby to be born on this special date. 

He said that I was ready and if I wanted him too, he would make arrangements at the hospital and the journey would begin. 

That evening I check in at St. John's hospital and the process began..  I must admit that I was anxious and the time just kept on clicking and midnight was approaching and a new day was arriving and I was getting more and more anxious with no results....

Time went on and it was soon after midnight and it seemed like all my hopes and dreams for this special birth on this special day was long lost..  I guess I finally gave up and relaxed and soon I gave birth.

Such joy I felt when my doctor said: "You have a beautiful baby daughter"  yes, I had my daughter and I would name her Ann Marie, and I would call her "my little Ann" or sometimes "Annie", but it was after midnight!!!  and a new day...

The next day when the doctor came in to see me and see how I was doing, he told me that he knew how important it was for me, to have my daughter born on the 11th, and as she had been born a few minutes before 1 am, he signed the birth certificate as being born a few minutes before midnight on Pacific time, not daylight savings time.  By doing this she had been born on June 11th..  My joy was now complete.

A few days after I arrived home with my new baby, I received a phone call  from the state register office, saying that they wouldn't accept Ann's birth date as the 11th, and that she was changing it to the 12th.  I was very upset, and I stated the doctor signed it as Pacific time and that was when she was born, and it was left at that.

Years later when Ann was getting married and needed her birth certificate, I discovered the lady at the office had changed the date.  I had to take action.  I wrote a letter requesting the birth date to be changed to the date I knew her to be born, and with my mother we went down to the office of vital records in Los Angeles, California and had the record changed to the correct birth date of the 11th.

My sweet Ann was officially born on June 11th, on her Great Grandmother's birthday, and she has her middle name of Marie as a special gift of love for my Nannie..

Ann has always been a joy and a blessing to us, she has always brought us much happiness. 

She has many gifts, she has a way of making people happy, she's a positive person and shes fun to be with, she makes everyone feel good.  She's a special daughter, a wonderful wife, a loving mother, and now a caring grandmother.

Happy Birthday my Sweet Ann,  I love you very much..  Your a wonderful daughter and I'm glad your mine......    Love, Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment