Monday, June 13, 2011

Cherry Season

Every year around this time it's Cherry Season.

Growing up we never really had fresh fruit that was in season, and we never went to an orchard to pick any fruit off a tree.

Now my mother was raise in a small country town in the middle of Utah where there was lots of farms.  Her father had been a farmer and they had a home on some acres of farm land, how many I have no idea as mother really never talked about that, (I think she had mention 10 acres one time though.)  You see her father died just before she was two years old, so life on the farm became a lot different without a father.

My father was raised in a city, so the fruit they ate was bought at the local store.  I suppose that they mostly had the standard fruit like bananas, oranges and apples to eat in their home, and for the experience of going to a fruit orchard was never an adventure. 

But then you come to my husbands family. 

Both his parents had been raised on farms in northern Utah and for what I have heard and gathered fresh fruit was always in their homes and on the trees in the seasons.

When I was married, I was soon acquainted to the sweet smells of ripe fruit off a tree.  

My in laws had some fruit tree in their yard and as soon as we had our first home, the first thing my sweet husband did was plant some fruit trees in our back yard.

During the early years of our marriage we would go to packing houses and buy a lug of peaches, and it was nothing new if we were out for a drive and my sweetheart saw a fruit stand for us to stop and buy a bag of fresh fruit that was in season.

Every time we have moved to a new home, one of the first things my sweetheart does is plant his trees.  He plants peaches, apricots, nectarines, plums and apples. 

When we moved from Texas years ago we brought a dozen apple trees with us in the moving van and they were planted on our property before the plans for our new home had even been drawn..

Last Saturday Cherry Season started and we hopped in our car, with our box, sneakers on our feet and our hat on our head and off we went to the Cherry Orchard...

It was a beautiful morning, the sky was blue, the sun was warm, a perfect day for Cherry picking. 

When we arrived we saw many pickers around and in the many cherry trees.  Soon we were told what tree we could pick by the owner.  We gather a bucket and started to pick, as we picked the fresh, riped cherries we had to sample some.  One to taste, one to snack, one to enjoy, yummy, yummy, in my tummy.....  Soon our buckets were filled and then back to fill them some more..  

In about an hour our box was full.  We took the cherries up to the house, the owner weighed it, it was thirty pounds.  Thirty pounds of beautiful dark red delicious cherries.

We put our box of delicious cherries in our car, hopped in and away we went, back to our home with our treasure.

Our beautiful dark red cherries are now in our refrigerator, cold and delicious just for the taking and the eating... 

I would love to share them with you,  We could sit in my rocking chairs, on my front porch, enjoying each other's company and enjoy these sweet cherries, fresh off the tree...

No comments:

Post a Comment