Sunday, November 21, 2010

Phone Call From My Brother

It was just the other night around 8 o'clock that my telephone rang.  I answered it with a cherry  "Hello," and then I heard an familiar voice saying "Hi" this is your brother Kent....Oh Kent, it's been way too long since we have talked.  I have thought of you so often, but the time just seems to get away from me without making that phone call.  

He said he just received an email from my daughter Marta, I guess she is so excited that her  Mama is writing a blog, that she emailed her siblings, her children and other family members, telling them that there's a new blogger out in cyberspace that they should check out.  So he did, and to his surprise it was his sister....Now you must know, my brother is a Computer wiz, he does this for a living, working for large companies, writing their program, solving their computer problems and now his sister is in cyberspace doing more than just emailing.  I'm sure he was thinking WHAT IS GOING ON????/

It was good to hear his voice and we talked about "what was going on" in our lives, and now that the holiday season is upon us we should get together.  He lives some distance from me in another state, and so plans would have to be made to make this happen.

Kent's a good brother and I love him very much.  He's my youngest brother.  You see, I was fourteen when he was born.  When Mother told us children (there was three of us then) that she was going to have a baby, we were all so excited.  We all felt that Dad and her planned this new addition because my siblings and I wanted a baby in our family.  Little to our knowledge that wasn't so, but she let us believe it was true.

The joy and excitement we all felt when Kent was born.  My younger brother and sister went to stay with my Aunt Sissie, while Mama was in the hospital, but I stayed home.  I remember Daddy taking me to the hospital one night to see Mama and my new little brother.  I felt so special to be the first one to see him, I could hardly wait for the day Daddy would bring Mama and our new baby home.

I would hurry home from school each day so I could hold him and help take care of him.  If he was fussy when Mama was fixing dinner, she would give him to me and I would sit in the front room, in the old upholster rocking chair and rock him and sing to him.

He was such a happy baby and a pretty one too, (if I dare say that) he had beautiful blue eyes and lots of dark hair and such a sweet smile.  He seemed to enjoy all the fussing we his siblings showered upon him, and it wasn't long until we all started to call him "Kentie" to this day our sister still calls him that and to our Mother he was always her "Kentie."

I was married when Kent was only three and my Marta was born just before Kent was five.  He was excited at the news that he was now an Uncle, but his friends would tell him he wasn't, because he was too young to be an Uncle, but Kent would insist he was an Uncle and he was.....

It was good talking to you brother dear, I love you and I'll talk to you again real soon, in the meantime, maybe you will see this in cyberspace and know I was thinking of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment