Sunday, May 10, 2020

Mother's Day 2020

Today is Mother's Day.
What does Mother's Day mean to me?
I've been a Mother for over 65 years.

This morning my Sweetheart wished me a Happy Mother's Day with a big hug and kiss, we had waffles for breakfast and soon we started talking about Mother's Day and about our children.

We were married very young, it was during the Korean War, my sweetheart was in the Navy and I was still in High School, we were married on his 2 weeks boot leave in the Mesa Arizona LDS Temple, after our honeymoon he went to the state of Washington to start his assignment and I went back to High School, after graduation I flew to Washington State and we started married life in a Quonset Hut in Navy Housing as our first home.

Life was good, full of adventures and many experiences.

I always wanted to be a mother, when I was little I enjoyed playing with dolls, I had a play house in our back yard and I would play by the hours in that house with my dolls and when I was married I wanted to have children and be a mother.

Our first daughter Marta was born there in Washington in a naval infirmary on Whidbey Island Washington, she cost just $8.75, because of her I became a Mother, this was my entrance into Motherhood.

When the war was over we journeyed back home to California, there my husband went to work in the building trade, we found a home and took on life.

We were blessed with three more children, Mark was next, then came Ann and last was Brad.  Each of them have added joy and happiness to us, This was our family, this was our beginning.

As I look back over these years as I celebrate this Mother's Day, the memories come floating in my mind, my heart is warm and I smile for all the blessings I have.

When the children were young they would plan a special surprises.  Marta was always the organizer, they would make special cards for me, maybe have a little party in the family room, sing some songs and have some dessert that they might have made or maybe just ice cream, but it was fun and special.

There was always a special Mother's Day program at church, with talks about mothers and then the primary would sing sweet songs to us, after the program usually a flower or some remembrance was given to each mother.

This year Mother's Day is quite different.  With this Coronavirus within our country, each state is doing their best to stay safe.  Businesses are closed, social distance is required, masks are worn and churches are closed.

Yesterday my son Brad called and wanted to came over for a visit, I haven't seen him for awhile because of this virus, when he arrived he had a beautiful bouquet of flowers in his hand, a sweet card, a big hug and kiss and a greeting of "Happy Mother's Day Mom", we sat around the kitchen table and had a very nice visit, he stayed for about 2 hours, it was good to see him, he is my only child that lives nearby, the others live in other states.  When he left, he said goodbye and told me he loved me and he was glad I was his mother.

My daughter Ann just called, she is on her way to her daughters for a Mother's Day get together.  It was good to hear from her, she told me many sweet things about how thankful she is for me being her mother, how she has learned lessons of life from me. that has helped her to be a wife and mother. She also told me I was the best mother ever.

I think about my family now and how it all began, never in a million years would I have guessed that now in this year of 2020 I would have not only my 4 children but 15 grandchildren, 35 great grandchild with a total 54 sweet ones that call me mother or grandma or great grandma.

Life is good and full of blessing and I am so thankful for my sweet husband who has loved me all my life and for all my children. I wonder how many more sweet ones will be added to my Posterity.

Thank you my dear children for the Love and Sweet memories you give to me and bring into my life.  I love each and everyone of you.

Happy Mother's Day to my daughters and granddaughters too who are mothers, may you also have sweet memories on this special day.

Always remember:  Families are Forever


No comments:

Post a Comment