Saturday, November 2, 2019

Saying Goodbye For Now

It was Thursday morning October the 24th, my Sweetheart and I we were busy getting ready to leave for St. George as Thursday is our day that we go to the Temple there, but that day would be different, you see the St. George Temple will be closing the first part of November to do repairs and refurbishing.  This Temple was dedicated in 1877 and was built by our pioneers forefathers,  It's a beautiful Temple but its over 142 years old and needs repairs.  It's going to be closed for 3 years to take care of everything, so for the next 3 years we will be going to the Cedar City Temple.

I have enjoyed this Temple and the history that it holds, it's a beautiful place and holds many wonderful memories for me, it's the Temple that Marta came with sealing cards for my father's family, to have this work done for them, there was Marta, my brother Butch and Diane, Mom and Dad, Kirk and I, what joy we all felt that day in the the sealing room as we all participated in this eternal blessing, such a warm memory.

During these years I have made special friends here in St. George and as this was going to be the last time we would be going to this Temple for now, my heart is feeling a little sad to say goodbye.

I spent Wednesday evening writing a note to each one of these friends expressing my gratitude for their friendship and kindness that I have enjoyed these past years, telling them I would miss them and wished them all well.

First, there is Sister Grimshaw, shes the sweet older lady that greets me each Thursday as I walk to the dressing rooms, she's there each week so she has come to recognize me though the years and she will reach out to me, give me a hug and tell me she is so glad to see me, if she's not standing where she usually stands, I'll look across the room and I will see her standing there, I will pause for a few seconds and then she sees me, I then get a wave along with a smile, my heart is warm as I smile and wave back to her.

Second, after the session and I ready to leave, as I walk out the dressing room and around a corner, I will see my younger friend Jodie, shes such a sweet person, I always stop and visit for a few minutes, we have a lot in common, her and her husband like to go cruising as my sweetheart and I do in fact, they enjoy the same cruise line as we do.  She also tells me that if we were in the same school and close to the same age she knows we would have been best friends.

After our Temple session we always go to the Golden Corral for lunch and there is where my other friends work.

Third, is Elena, she is a waitress there and many times she will be in the area where we sit and she then will tell us where to sit so she can wait on us, even if she isn't in the area where we are she usually finds us, gives us a hug and will talk with us and always tells us she is so happy to see us.

Fourth, is Sandy, she is my friend in the bakery area, she is small and very sweet, she does more work in that area then two people could ever do.  She has been there for years and has always taken good care of me.  When they would have pecan pie she would always save me a piece and she knows what flavor ice cream my sweetheart and I both like, so she gives me a nice serving.  When I arrive and she sees me she will come from behind the counter and wants a hug, she warmly greet me and will visit a few minutes. I always go to say goodbye to her when I leave and she will always ask me if I'll be back next week, she will tell me how her babies are doing and will show me their pictures, I'll hold her hand and then give her a warm hug.  She has had 3 babies during these years and I have made her a crochet blanket for each of them.

This past week when I had to say goodbye, each one said they would miss me too.  Jodie has my address and I hers, so she said she would keep in touch, but when I said goodbye to Sandra she hugged me tighter and her eyes began to weep, she has a lot on her plate, a small family, works another job in the evenings and I think she just needs someone to tell her she is doing great.  My sweetheart did tell me that we would come to St, George for lunch sometime so don't worry, I will still see her, I did tell Sandra that and that she was a sweetheart and I would see her again with another hug and said goodbye for now..  I then gave her her card ...  with a nice tip,,,...

Yes, I will miss these friends but--- Its just a goodbye for now.. 




No comments:

Post a Comment