Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Lunch with my Grandchildren

My Granddaughter Teri and her family have been here for a visit for a little over a week now,  they have been staying with her husbands parents in town.  They made this road trip from their home in North Carolina, with their 3 darling children..  They will only be in town for just a few more days and as I don't have a chance of seeing them too often, I asked them to come for lunch and a visit.


They arrived at my home yesterday around 12 noon.  I was excited to see them, for our visits are far and few between.


It has been about 15 years now since I received that phone call from this sweet granddaughter.  When I answered the phone that morning she said, "Grandma, I've been thinking and praying about what I need to do in my life and I keep getting this feeling that I should come to Utah and finish my education at SUU" and then she said, "Could I come and live with you and grandpa and go to school?"  "YES, you  can" was my reply.


Arrangements were made and that summer she started her move.  She needed to enroll, sign up for her classes and have her transcripts transferred to SUU.


Grandma got busy and fixed her spare guest room up for a college student.  Bought a computer and cleaned out the closet.  "ROOM READY"..


Teri arrived around the first of August, settled in and was ready to go.  


School started, she had her classes, she found the student ward, started making friends, went looking for and found a job.


Now Teri is a very bubbly young girl, full of energy and lots of fun.  It wasn't long until the phone started to ring and dates started to appear.  Soon a tall, handsome, returned missionary with shinning eyes and affected smile was standing at my door...  Wasn't to long until this handsome young man name Jeff, was the only one coming to my door.  Seems Teri and her heart had made a decision.


When the Christmas holidays came Teri went home for Christmas and Jeff made a visit to North Carolina to meet the family.  Things were getting serious.  


Teri returned after the New Year.  School started again and we saw more and more of Jeff.   


It wasn't too much longer until wedding plans were announced.  They had decided they would marry after the semester.  They would be married in the Washington DC LDS Temple, in April.  


Now Grandma had a basement apartment in her home.  Brad was living in this apartment at this time, but we were building him his home a block away and it was almost done.  They wanted to know if they could rent this apartment when Brad left.  I thought that would be great.  I would love having these special grand kids live there, it would be nice having them close by and so that came to be.


Teri and Jeff were married, they lived in our basement until they graduated from SUU.  It was wonderful having them there.  We had lots of visits and lots of good time.


When graduation came they packed up their worldly belongings in a Uhall truck, said their goodbyes and they were off for North Carolina to begin their life and future as Mr and Mrs....


Now 14 years later this sweet young family is sitting around my dinning room table having lunch with Grandpa and me.  


There is Logan who is almost 10 years old.  She's a pretty girl, with dark brown hair like her mama.  She has a pretty smile and is loving and kind.  She gave this Great Grandma lots of hugs and kisses.  She likes to do crafts and things with her hands, like this grandma does.  If I have a chance the next time we visit I will teach her how to do some cross stitching or knitting, or something.


Cooper is a shy young boy, he's 6 now and likes school, he also likes his home and is anxious to get back to his own bed.  After lunch he wanted to go in the sun room and watch TV...  He kept looking at this grandma and I just wondered what he was thinking of me...  I think he was just trying to figure out how this relationship works.


Last is Denim.  He is 2 and a sweet little fellow.  When they arrived he was asleep and Teri took him into the blue room and laid him down on the bed.  He slept the whole time, when he awoke he just looked around and wondered where he was and what was happening.


We had a nice long visit around my table.  It was fun to play catch up with them and to hear about what was going on in their lives.  To hear about their interest, their activities and about their home and the things they were doing to it.


Soon it came time for them to say goodbye.  We took lots of pictures and gave lots of hugs and kisses.  My heart was warm as was grandpa's.  


We had a special lunch, with our grand kids and our great grand kids.  I think I have a special feeling inside because I was there in the beginning.  Jeff had asked Teri to marry him on the steps in my big house on Old Scout Trail....  and because she said yes, we now have 3 beautiful and special Great Grand kids.....


They leave for their trip home in a couple of day.  They are going to make some stops and see some church history sites, and some family members on the way...  Drive safely and have a good time and know this Grandma loves you very much.  Thanks for your visit.....


Hope to see you again real soon..

1 comment:

  1. This is a beautiful post Mom, thank you. I am glad the visit was nice. Thank you for having them over. I know they have a special place in their hearts for you too.

    ReplyDelete