Wednesday, December 29, 2010

A Special Date for a Wedding

I think December has to be the popular month for Weddings, not June, at least that seems to be the way it is, in my family.

Today I have 3 family members celebrating their wedding anniversaries.  I wonder why they chose this date..  Maybe it was the Friday or Saturday just before New Years, the year they wanted to be married.  I just know the couples were all so in Love, that they wanted to start the new year as Husband and Wife.  I don't think that couple number 2, or couple number 3, thought, they would be celebrating this special day as an anniversary, the same as another family member, they only knew that they loved each other and wanted to be together.

Couple number 1 is my Grandson Michael and his lovely wife Kendra.  My husband and I flew across the country to be at their wedding.  It was held at the Washington DC LDS Temple.  Now this Temple holds a special meaning for me, as this is where my oldest son Mark served as a janitor, for awhile, after his mission.

But this day we were having a Wedding.  It was cold outside, we even had some rain sprinkles, but when you are in love the weather doesn't matter.  After the ceremony, pictures were taken and I'm sure, if you see the pictures today, you would not see the goose bumps on the bride or her party. 

The wedding reception was held that evening at the church, the hall was decorated beautifully, with large white Christmas wreaths hanging on the walls, with sparkling lights and with white bows.  Christmas trees with white lights were everywhere.  Music was playing and I remember Kendra singing a beautiful love song to her new husband.

Couple number 2 is my Grandson Kevan and his bride was Brooke.   Again we flew across the country to be at this wedding.  They were married in the Raleigh NC LDS Temple. 

I remember it being a nice day, the sun was out, but then, some of the time it was overcast.  Her wedding party was the family.  Her sister's and her new sister-in-law's, along with brother's and brother-in-law's.  I remember the fun they had taking pictures outside this beautiful temple and how cute and sweet all the little nieces (my great granddaughters) looked in their pretty grey satin dresses and how much fun they had playing "ring around the rosy."

Their wedding reception was held at an  LDS institute building.  They had it decorated with Christmas trees and lots of lights.  There was music, dancing and food, and they had a Christmas ornament, in their wedding colors of  purple and silver, as a remembrance for all the guest.

Couple number 3 is my son Brad and my sweet daughter-in-law Susan.  They were married in town, at the court house.

Brad and Susan had been courting for awhile, but Susan was living in Mesa, Arizona.  Their courtship was talking on the phone every night for hours and then emailing in between and trying to get together sometime, just to see each other.

They had meet at a Singles conference for the church months earlier and knew there was something special between them, but this long distance romance wasn't what they wanted.  Susan came for Christmas that year and it was then, they decided to be married before she had to go back to Arizona for work. Our son Mark was home for Christmas, and so on this day, we all went to the court house for a wedding.

After the ceremony we took a few pictures and then we all went to the Chinese restaurant where we had lunch and celebrated.  When lunch was over Brad and Susan said their goodbyes and left for a few day for a honeymoon.  Brad and Susan both had to be back at work after New Years.

This long distant lasted until March, with Brad and Susan meeting half way for a weekend every other week. This they did until Susan was out of her lease on her apartment and was finished with her job.

I remember my husband and I driving to Arizona with Brad in order to help with Susan's move.  What a joyful day it was, I'm sure, as they finished loading a Uhaul truck and began traveling those many miles to their apartment in Utah, planning their life together.

Now December 6th is another special day for weddings. 

My parents were married many years ago on this day, they would have been married 76 years.  For their wedding they just eloped.  They told no one, but the friend that drove them to Santa Ana, to a court house, for you see my father had no car.  Love has a way of winning and love is Eternal, for our beliefs are Families are Forever.

This year on this day my Grandson Jared and his sweetheart Emily decided to tie the knot.  They too went to a court house and was married by a Justice of the Peace.  You could say they too eloped, just like his grandparents did in 1934.  Jared is going into the Army soon, so they wanted to be a Mr. and Mrs.  They would like to have a party someday to celebrate this marriage, but for right now, they are happy and are looking forward to their future as husband and wife.

This is my story of Decembers weddings in my family.  I want to wish each and everyone of my love ones, a long and happy life together, as Husband and Wife.  I want them to also know, I love them all very much and they are all part of my Eternal Family.  

Happy Anniversary to all of you and Congratulation to you, Jared and Emily on your Marriage.....

2 comments:

  1. We picked that day in a ploy to get all my family home for Christmas! How tricky am I! We celebrated 3 years yesterday and we realized something: it will never be as perfect as our wedding day BUT it's still just fun to spend the time together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to Jared and Emily. Having everyone choose the same day makes remembering anniversaries much easier, now all you need to do is remember how many for each!!

    ReplyDelete