Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving Memories

It's late Sunday night and our Thanksgiving weekend is coming to a close.

As I sit here at my computer thinking of these past few days, my mind goes back to our Thanksgivings past. 

How fast the years go by.  When you are young and just starting out, ten years will seem like an eternity, but then five times that, plus a few more years and it does turn out to some, as an eternity.  But too me, it just seems like yesterday.

When I was growing up our Thanksgiving Day was spent at my Aunt Sissie's.  We would arrive early so my mother could help my Aunt and my Nannie with the dinner and then my siblings and I would play with our cousin.  We always had a turkey dinner with all the trimmings.  My Nannie would bake the best apple and pumpkin pies.  This was a wonderful traditions that our family did every year. But when my cousin was married, they were invited to her in-law's for Thanksgiving dinner and so, a new, or should I say, another traditions started.

Thanksgiving morning in 1942 my Daddy woke me up early and told me to hurry and get dressed, for we were going to Aunt Sissie's.  Why would we go so early in the morning, it was still dark out side???  Well, you see, my mother was pregnant and her pains had started, so she needed to get to the hospital.  I was just 6 at the time and I had a little sister who was just 16 months.  Well, we hurried to my Aunt Sissie's where Daddy dropped us kids off and then took Mama to the hospital.  Mama had always said that when they arrived at my Aunt's house, when she answered the door her comment was "I told you to come early, but not this early." 

My Brother Butch was born about 6 o'clock that evening on Thanksgiving Day and every few years, we not only celebrate Thanksgiving Day with a turkey dinner and all the trimmings, but with a birthday cake too.  I asked him just yesterday if he ever felt cheated about sharing his birthday with the turkey and he said, "NO," for not everyone has so many people celebrating their birthday on their day, as he does on his special day...

Well, I just looked at the clock and it looks like the time has come to put my memories to bed. There will be another day and another time for me to take you down  my "Thanksgiving Day Memories."   Until then---

1 comment:

  1. I agree that Memory Lane is a beautiful walk.

    Keep on walking mom--I am enjoying the stroll along with you.

    Love, Marta

    ReplyDelete