Sunday, July 26, 2020

Just Listen and Do It

I was raised with the knowledge that I should follow the promptings of the spirit. 

When I was  baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and confirmed a member, I was promised I would be blessed with the gift of the Holy Ghost and if I would stay true to these teachings, I would have this gift though out my life and would recognize it as a prompting of the spirit, its like a small still voice that is sometimes felt more than heard.

Now there has been times in my life where I have come to a cross in the road and not always knowing what to do, or a problem which I needed to solve or just some guidance for life adventures, then I would make it a matter of prayer and take them to my Heavenly Father.

But have you ever had a thought run through your mind out of no where and it keeps coming back to you and you might wonder where did that come from and why?  This has happened many times to me and then I find myself pushing it aside or even questioning that thought and then I find myself giving me a excuse to not act upon it and then later I find out that just maybe, I should have acted upon that thought.

This just happened to me a couple of weeks ago. 

I have a sweet friend whose daughter was getting married.  Now my friend when she has a Birthday I always make her a batch of fudge.  She likes my fudge and I have been doing this for years, but because of this virus and the "stay home-be safe" program, I postpone this gift.

I was invited to a bridal shower for her daughter, shes a sweet girl and is marrying a wonderful young man so I was going to go.  The day before the shower I decided to make my friend, her Birthday fudge and take it to her at her daughter's shower, while I was busy cooking the fudge I had a thought to also make a batch of divinity for this bride-to-be, as I know she likes divinity, but here my thinking went into play with excuses, so I pushed it out of my mind.  I went to the shower, gave my friend the fudge, she thanked me and took it inside her home and put away for later.  Soon it came time for the gifts for the bride-to-be and at one point with all the excitement the subject of divinity came up, that the bride-to-be loves divinity candy and how she was wishing she had some, no divinity for this sweet young girl because I, did not act upon a that feeling.  Shame on me...

I have also been thinking about another friend that loves divinity, I don't live near her anymore so I don't see her very often, she lives near my son and my sister-in-law, sometimes I make her a batch of divinity and if I know I'm going to see my son, I'll ask him if he will drop it off to her on his way home.  The last time he did this I found out that he asked this friend "what is this between you and my mom that I bring you candy?", he told me she just smiled and said it goes way back.  Last week my brother and sister-in-law came for a visit, as we sat visiting that afternoon she told me about my friend and that right now she was having a hard time with some issues.  The next day I sent her a "thinking of you card" but knowing her Birthday is this coming Thursday, I'll be making her a batch of divinity, the feeling is telling me "Do It". 

When my children were young and growing, I tried to remind them to always listen for that still small voice, that is sometimes felt more than it is heard and then to act upon it, to just Do It.  I am saying the same thing to me, "Just Listen and Do It"  you will feel a lot better...   




No comments:

Post a Comment