Sunday, October 20, 2019

My Friends are Hungry

I live on five acres and most of the space around my home is just dirt, lots of rock and a few trees.  I have a long gravel driveway that comes from the street that takes a curve up and around a dirt hill to my home. We built this home some years ago and our dear sons helped us so much with building our dream. Our youngest son was up on the rafters measuring and hammering nails, both boys helped us with the inside, our oldest son put in the wood floors and the tile back splash in the kitchen with the help of his daughter, he also put in this driveway and built a few rock retaining walls around the driveway and other places on the property.

Out side my kitchen window just past the garage is a large area of dirt and off to the south side there is a rock wall surrounding a tree. In the mornings the sun will be shinning and everything look so peaceful and bright just welcoming a new day. I enjoy looking out this window and especially when I'm in the kitchen fixing a meal or just doing the dishes.

I have lots of friends that come for a visit, but these friends seem to only come around when they are hungry.  One might say "what kind of friends do you have that only want something to eat?"  Well, I'll tell you.  My friends are the rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, turkeys, the deer and the birds, but mostly black birds and sometimes a skunk or two, but I really don't count the skunks as friends, but I sure can tell when they have come for a visit by the scent they leave behind.

I know these friends must be hungry because why would they be walking around at all hours of the day or night, Spring or Summer, Fall or Winter?  Don't they have food at their own home or nest? Oh, but wait, I think they have to good looking for their food, as they don't have a market they can go shopping for food like we do.

Now being the kind person that I am and having a soft spot in my heart for all God's creatures, I'll do my best to help them with a meal or two.  I have a bowl on my kitchen counter that I put my food scraps in like bread, peelings, leftovers that have been in the refrigerator to long and things like that.  I then take them out to that area outside my kitchen window and throw them around so my friends can have a picnic.

Many times I will see 15 or more turkeys in my yard just enjoying this meal, or some rabbits nibbling on a carrot or a lettuce leaf or maybe a black bird snacking on a piece of bread, but what I enjoy the most is when this black bird comes for his piece of bread, he then will pick up another piece, fly to the top of my garage and gives it to his friend, a lady back bird and there they perch on the roof enjoying each others company with a snack or too.

Many times my husband will see this picnic going on outside with our friends and he will call me to come and see, as we stand at the kitchen window watching this activity that's going on, we just smile and I think of the joy I'm watching all because of kitchen scraps, but I know if there is any scraps left, in the morning when again I look outside my kitchen window and all the scraps are gone, I know I had some friends in my yard enjoying a nightly picnic and I bet it was my friends the deer.

My Sweetheart did take out some scraps this afternoon after our meal, so we are ready for our friends to come, they just might be a little hungry, so if they do come just enjoy and have a good time.


No comments:

Post a Comment