Thursday, December 2, 2010

A Trigger Memory

I just went into my "Blog" to see if there had been any activity on it, and to my surprise I found that I had a comment on my last posting, "Memories of Thanksgivings Past."  So of coarse, I had to click on it to see the comment....

The comment was from my daughter, who has the profile name, "They call me Grandma" on her "Blog."  As I read her comment, again my heart was warm of memories past.

As I was sitting here at my Computer reading her words, I kept on thinking on how each person has a memory of an special event that will trigger another memory and even another one and another.

Let me expound on that thought:

My daughter's comment starts:  "As I read your post it brought a tear to my eye,"  you see, my granddaughter Cara that was upset with her "friend" calling me Grandma, is her daughter... and Tawni is her sister Ann's daughter.... 

Then she goes on to say:  "That was the year that Brandon and Michael got so excited to make "smoke" by stomping on the plaster bags."  Now, Michael is her son, and Brandon is my daughter Ann's son.  The "smoke" she is referring to, is the dust that comes from plastering material that's used in building construction.  You see, some of our  family members are Plastering Contractors and these little Grandsons had found a treasure.  They were covered with plaster dust, from head to toe, they had been busy little boys.

Next she says:  "It is also the year that Derek and Kevan were babies."  Derek, is Ann's son and Keven is hers.  she goes on,  "We brought Kevan to be blessed, surrounded by family."  Kevan was just a month old and in our faith, a baby is giving a name and a blessing.  This is a very special ordinance in our Religion and because of this, it was important to my daughter to be surrounded by family.  Because she and her family were coming home for this holiday, arrangements were made to have this blessing take place.

She continues: " and Peggy, (Peggy is my Niece) wants to know what Derek's name was.  That sweet beautiful baby that you loved with the elusive name."  Let me explain,  I was sitting there holding my sweet beautiful grandson.  He was only a few months old, a sleep, snuggled in my arms and Peggy says to me "Aunt Liz what's the baby's name?"  I looked at my sweet little grandson and said, "Oh my sweet little one, what is your name?  I know it's not Brandon or Kevan, oh, what is your name?"  and then my daughter Marta said, "Mama, his name is Derek." "oh, yes, my sweet one, your name is Derek."  Derek is now a tall handsome grandson, with a lovely wife and 2 beautiful boy and I do remember these names.  Please Derek, forgive this Grandma, for a grandma moment years ago.......

She concludes her comment:  It was a gift to be in California and able to eat outside on a pleasant fall afternoon. 

This year I gathered 17 of my family around that same table (she has her Grandmother's table and buffet in her home) and served the same food. 

Traditions continue for a few more generations.....

and then she ends with:  I sure enjoy what you are writing, keep them coming.. Love, Marta...

This is what I mean by having another memory trigger by sharing memories of special times..  I forgot about the smoke that two little boy had made, but I did remember holding a sweet grandson with the elusive name and I remember years later, traveling across country in a pickup truck, taking an old dinning room table and a buffet to a daughter, so she could have and enjoy her Grandmother's table and memories..

Sweetheart, you told me when you had me start this "Cyberspace Blog," that it would be fun and I would enjoy doing it.  Well, I'm still trying and learning how this thing works, but I am enjoying it, it lets me think and lets me remember some of my Life's Peaceful Moments. So here you are, another post from your Mama..... I love you,   I love all my family, you are my Blessings.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Mama. I am off to bake some bread. Hope your decorating goes well.

    Love, Marta

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! I do remember the smoke though!
    Those silly boys!

    ReplyDelete